MON - Dec. 10:
- The Atlanta Public Schools' Board of Education is holding a special legislative meeting at 3 p.m. at 130 Trinity Ave. Board members will consider and could vote on a contract extention for APS Superintendent Erroll B. Davis Jr. Davis came in as superintendent to restore faith and order in the district following the discovery of a massive cheating scandal under Beverly Hall, the former superintendent. But Davis is not without his critics. One Buckhead parent has created a petition that asks the board to find an alternative to Davis.
- Also on the agenda:
- Item 1.01 – Report #12/13-0108 – A resolution in support of sequestration that urges Congress and the Obama Administration to mitigate the across-the-board cuts to education that are scheduled to occur Jan. 2, 2013.
- Item 1.02 – Refer to the Board’s Policy Committee, a revision to Policy BBD Board and Superintendent Relations, to include specific language addressing advance communications of significant district-wide or local decisions, events, and activities.
- Also on the agenda:
- The Atlanta BeltLine is holding a series of study group meetings across the city to answer questions and give residents updates on the longterm plan for the overall project. The meeting for residents in the Southeast Atlanta quadrant is 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Trees Atlanta, 225 Chester Ave. in Reynoldstown.
TUE - Dec. 11:
- Neighborhood Planning Unit-O, which includes the East Lake, Villages of East Lake, Kirkwood and Edgewood, will meet at 6:30 p.m. at Branham Recreation Center, 2051 Delano Drive NE. The meeting has been called in response to an unusual number of variance applications NPU-O has received. Additionally, the city no longer honors the December deferral of NPU-O items to January and will simply process them without any community oversight or engagement at all. This is meant to give NPU-O communities that voice.
THURS - Dec. 13:
- Midway Pub in East Atlanta Village holds its Midway Holiday Arts and Crafts Market in conjunction with the East Atlanta Farmers Market. The Miday's market stats at 4 p.m. on its patio, 552 Flat Shoals Ave SE.
SAT - Dec. 15:
- Garden*Hood at 353 Boulevard SE in Grant Park getting into the holiday sprit by showing you how you can make a holiday wreath. Register in advance to reserve a spot at the workshop, which will include unlimited trimmings, tools, hot beverages and staff guidance. Pay when you register (by phone, e-mail, or at the store) or when you arrive at the class, which starts at 1 p.m. and costs $25.