.

Kirkwood Man Dies In Memorial Drive Fire

Hotplate is blamed for blaze that claimed the life of 89-year-old victim.

The DeKalb County Medical Examiner's said Wednesday an 89-year-old man found in his Kirkwood home earlier in the day died from smoke inhalation.

Atlanta Fire Rescue Department responded to a fire at 1460 Memorial Dr. SE at 4:28 a.m. and found smoke coming from one of the apartments.

After busting through the barricaded front door, firefighters found the man on the floor between his bedroom and bathroom.

Fire officials said the fire seemed to have been caused by a hotplate placed near combustible materials. It did not appear the apartment had a working smoke detector, fire investigators said.

The victim's name was not released.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »