EDGEWOOD — Atlanta Fire Rescue Department crews remain on the scene of a large fire that fully engulfed a home at 241 Patterson Ave. SE on Monday.
The fire, which was called in at about 11:40 a.m., was sparked by a tree that fell on power lines and then somehow created a gas leak.
"It was the gas leak and the power lines that contributed to the start of the fire," Atlanta Fire Rescue Department spokeswoman Marian McDaniel told East Atlanta Patch.
McDaniel said the home completely "burned down and a second home received extensive damage."
The persons in the second home were able to escape and no injuries were reported.
Patterson Avenue was closed to vehicular traffic for several hours, but Fox 5 reported that it had been reopened in its 6 p.m. broadcast.