Just weeks after a led to a dip in southeast Atlanta auto break-ins, thieves struck the Ormewood Park neighborhood early Friday and vandalized at least eight cars.
Thieves hit cars on Glenwood Place, Warwick Street and Portland Avenue.
One victim told Fox 5 Atlanta that vandals took his iPod.
Police have said because addicts — those hooked on drugs or alcohol — are seeking items they can quickly pawn for cash to feed their habits.
The department has been pushing its Clean Car Campaign for months, which aims to get motorists into the habit of taking their valuables like laptops, mobile phones and MP3 players with them or leave them out of view when exiting their vehicles.
To "clean" your car:
- Remove GPS and mounts
- Remove mobile phones
- Remove laptops and tablets
- Remove all power cords and power sources for your electronics
- Remove all shopping bags, briefcases, duffel bags and purses
- Don't leave wallets, loose change or currency out in open view
- If you have a gun in your vehicle, don't leave it there
- And while there's been some philosophical debate from some vehicle owners who leave their vehicles unlocked, APD says you should always lock your doors.
- It's best to sweep your vehicle before you get to your destination, not after.