The Atlanta Police Department's Zone 3, which includes Summerhill, Historic South Atlanta, Peoplestown and Chosewood Park issued this crime update and alert with respect to the 2012 year:
Overall, crime in Zone 3 was down 15 percent in 2012. Overall crime on beats 301 (Capitol View) and 306 (Sylvan Hills) was also down.
However, we have had a spike in auto thefts. We saw repeat thefts of: Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Stratus, Dodge R1500, Ford Ranger, and Jeep Cherokees.
To deter auto thefts, we recommend:
- Never leaving the vehicle keys in the car while the car is unattended.
- If your vehicle becomes disabled, do not leave it on the side of the road. Tow as soon as possible.
- Parking vehicle close to your door so you can keep an eye on it.
- Installing alarms (flashing LED lights inside may help), tracking devices, ignition kill switches, fuel pump kill switches, steering wheel locks or locking bars.
- Be alert for wreckers which could be illegally taking vehicles in order to recycle (call 911).
- Not leaving valuables in your vehicle which draw perpetrators to your vehicle.
- Report truants and curfew violators.
Here are the full-year crime stats in Zone 3:
Aggravated Assault 620 Down 8.01% 676 647 Auto Theft 1,166 Up 5.52%
1,110 1,069 Homicide 19 Down 9.52% 21 21 Larceny 1,027 Down 19.13% 1,276 1,188 Non-Residential Burglary 156 Down 31.58% 228 232 Residential Burglary 1,274 Down 22.65% 1,653 1,613 Robbery 448 Down 14.50% 527 412 Vehicle Larceny 762 Down 17.26% 927 852