It probably should go without saying, but if you don't want your car stolen, it's not a good idea to leave the keys in the ignition.
So says Atlanta Police Department Zone 3 in an auto theft alert issued June 19.
Though auto thefts are down 6.44 percent from Jan. 1 through June 9 — 450 incidents — Zone 3 has experienced an uptick in auto thefts in recent weeks.
Zone 3 includes the Summerhill, Chosewood Park, Thomasville Heights and Peoplestown neighborhoods.
"We are seeing multiple vehicles being taken from the Metropolitan Parkway corridor, Forest Hills Drive apartments, Cleveland Avenue apartments, McDaniel Street apartments and Moury Avenue," the zone alert read.
Most of the thefts have occurred after dark and the vehicle of choice for thieves are branded with the Dodge marque.
"We will be conducting extra patrol in these areas and enforcing curfews. The police will also utilize bait cars," according to the alert.
Besides taking your car keys with you, APD offers these suggestions:
- Don't leave a disabled vehicle on the side of the road. Tow as soon as possible.
- Park vehicles close to your door so you can keep an eye on it.
- Installing alarms (flashing LED lights inside may help), tracking devices, ignition kill switches, fuel pump kill switches, steering wheel locks or locking bars can be a deterrent.
- Be alert for "wreckers" which could be improperly taking vehicles in order to recycle. If you see one and it doesn't seem kosher, call 911.
- Don't leave valuables in your vehicle (GPS systems, purses, boxes, wallets, gym bags etc.) They're tempting magnets that say, "come on and break in."
- Always report any suspicious activity by calling 911.