Clutter can find its way into pretty much any area of the house, and it's important to address the situation before it becomes a bigger problem. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), clutter provides places for rodents and insects to nest, is a trip hazard and just looks unpleasant (to say the least!). Decluttering your home doesn't have to be difficult or overly time consuming. Here are 8 simple tips to make it a smoother process:
1. Take it one room at a time to avoid getting overwhelmed.
2. Divide severly cluttered rooms into sections to again make it less overwhelming on you. Tackle one section at a time, and each time you finish a section you'll get a nice sense of accomplishment.
3. Ask your family and friends to join in. It not only speeds up the process but also gives you extra emotional support.
4. Call the dumpster rental or junk removal company at least a week in advance of your cleanout to make sure the dumpster/service is available on the day(s) you need it.
5. Divide the clutter into piles for a more organized cleanout: recycle, donate, keep, sell and trash.
6. Remove the largest items from the room first to free up floor space more quickly.
7. Reduce the number of storage areas in each room whenever possible. The more storage areas you have, the more stuff you'll keep. Clutter will eventually fill these areas once again.
8. Plan your cleanout in advance to increase the efficiency of your cleanout and make sure you get it done over the weekend.