Talk about working up an appetite.
Community Farmers Markets, which runs the Grant Park Farmers Market and the East Atlanta Village Farmers Market, is hosting the Metro Atlanta Tour de Farm Oct. 13 and 14.
The two-day bicycle tour and camping trip is designed to showcase the many urban farms that supply both markets in Grant Park and East Atlanta.
"We wanted a way to show the urban farms of Atlanta in a sustainable and progressive way, and maximize the sites we could visit," Katie Hayes, executive director of Community Farmers Markets told East Atlanta Patch.
"We heard about a Tour de Farm that Athens does in a rural setting, so we worked with them to get ideas and then created one for an urban setting."
The full tour costs $156.24 per person (which includes a service fee) and covers the camping gear, the two days and dinner, which will be prepared by Chef Angus Brown of the Octopus Bar. Riders have the option of doing only one of the days for less than that amount.
Proceeds from the event will benefit Community Farmers Markets and the urban farm sites.
"We also wanted to connect more with the cycling community in Atlanta," Hayes said. "Local food access, healthy lifestyles and sustainable transportation are the future of Atlanta, after all."
Participating Sites include:
- Truly Living Well, Wheat Street Gardens
- Patchwork City Farms
- The Spotted Trotter Charcuterie (lunch location)
- Love is Love at Gaia Gardens
- Umurima Wa Burundi, a Global Growers Site
- Decatur Kitchen Garden, a Global Growers Site
- Bamboo Creek, a Global Growers Site (dinner and camping location)
- Decimal Place Goat Farm
- Crack in the Sidewalk Farmlett
- The Grant Park Farmers Market (lunch location)
- The Little Tart Bakeshop
- Beautiful Briny Sea, Artisanal Salts
Get your tickets online today by clicking here.