by Rev. Nathan Dean
Does anyone have an extra sleeping bag, camping pad, small tent, and small backpack (could be a large school bag) to put these things in that you wouldn't mind parting with?
There is a man I have known in the neighborhood for years whom I love and trust but also has to sleep outside from time to time. As the weather gets colder I would love for him to have a place to sleep on those occasions where he can feel safe and warm.
If you could help out I would really appreciate it.
Disclaimers and Pre-argument Statements:
- He has a job. He is not on drugs.
- I have a place for him to spend the night that won't bother anyone (This will not affect property values, community aesthetics, or safety). No one would even know if I wasn't writing this.
- This is not the beginning of any sort of village. This man's situation makes it so that he has to sleep outside once or twice a month.
- This isn't my standard approach to those who are homeless or intermittently homeless. This is a unique individual and a unique situation.
- I personally know and work with homeless people on a regular basis and am good friends with people who do this as their sole profession.
I know these disclaimers are unnecessary for most people in our community, but if it puts any minds at ease I thought I would include it.
If you can help, I would appreciate it.
The Rev. Dean is the Co-Pastor of the Edgewood Church in Kirkwood. If you can help: Email: Nathan@EdgewoodChurchAtlanta.org or call him at 770.377.5455.