2012 was an interesting one news wise for the communities of East Atlanta Patch.
These were the 10 most popular stories of 2012 as gauged by reader interest and e-mail and discussion:
- 10. Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q Heavily Damaged During Storm: An Aug. 2 rainstorm led to a tree falling onto the dining room and outdoor patio of the popular Candler Park restaurant. Thankfully, no one was injured.
- 9. The Naked Truth: This Mural is Quite Controversial: A renowned Argentinean artist painted the wall of the former GM plant in Chosewood Park with a nude mural that proved to be too scandalous for an artistically intolerant and vocal contingent in the surrounding neighborhoods. The end result: It was vandalized and subsequently painted over.
- 8. Anarchist Group Hits Edgewood Avenue Parking Meters: PARKatlanta, the privately contracted firm that handles parking enforcement is not lacking in detractors who decry its tactics at ticketing motorists. A self-described group of anarchists sought to fight back by tampering with the parking meters on Edgewood Avenue to prevent them from being used.
- 7. Man Killed in Friday Afternoon Shooting at Ponce and Moreland: This Oct. 5 shooting seemed so senseless and scary in that the victim was driving and the suspected shooter fired at him several times.
- 6. Atlanta Police Release Sketch Of Lake Claire Attempted Kidnapping Suspect: This March 12 incident left parents in the Lake Claire community rattled as a little girl reported a man tried to kidnap her as she made her way home from school. He remains at large.
- 5. Police Release Sketch Of Kidnapping Suspect: This was particularly scary as a man snatched a woman off her porch in Edgewood in early May and put her in his trunk, driving around before she managed to escape. A short time later, he attempted to abduct another woman in the Reynoldstown community. He remains at large.
- 4. DeKalb Opens New Early Voting Locations: Let it not be said that DeKalb voters are disengaged. They wanted to know when they could vote and where.
- 3. Orionids Meteor Shower 2012: The chance to see this annual meteor shower was not to be missed by astronomy enthusiasts.
- 2. UPDATED: Georgia National Guardsman Killed At Starlight Six Drive-In: Mitt-Chai Lenix, described as a "golden soul" was shot and killed when he sought help car trouble. His accused killer was caught days later.
- Boyfriend Charged in Fatal Shooting of Swallow Circle-Baywood Teen: This murder, which occurred in January, struck a chord with scores of readers who were shocked that her boyfriend shot her in a wooded area of Lakewood and left her to die.