- Peoplestown: D.H. Stanton Elementary School — Ms. Orlando our new 1st Grade teacher. She was at DHS last year as a Pre-K teacher and jumped at a chance to join the DHS team. Ms. Orlando is fluent in Spanish and is one of several bi-lingual teachers now at DHS.
- Old Fourth Ward: Hope-Hill Elementary School — Maureen Wheeler is the proud new principal at Hope-Hill Elementary School. This is her first year with Atlanta Public Schools, and her 21st year in education. Ms. Wheeler began her career with Fulton County Schools as a teacher at Harriet Tubman Elementary School, and also served as the assistant principal at Paul D. West Middle School. In 2003, she became principal at Palmetto Elementary School, which achieved Adequate Yearly Progress for seven consecutive years and became a Title I Distinguished School under her leadership. In addition, Palmetto received the 2010 Superintendent’s Distinguished Achievement Award from the Georgia Department of Education for CRCT improvement.
- ORMEWOOD PARK: Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School — The Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School (ANCS) is excited to welcome a new Principal to its middle school campus. Dr. Cathey Goodgame has taken the reins this summer. Matt Underwood, the middle school's Principal since 2007, has moved into the position of Executive Director for the school. Dr. Goodgame began her career in education as an 8th grade mathematics teacher in Fulton County Schools. From 2004 to this year, she served as an assistant principal at the middle school level, first in Fulton County Schools, then for the past three years at Renfroe Middle School in Decatur. As a school leader, she has played an integral role in teacher support and evaluation, school climate initiatives, and special education planning. Her experience in Decatur with the International Baccalaureate program will be helpful in understanding the program many ANCS students heading to Maynard Jackson High School will see.
- GRANT PARK: Jackson High School — Stephanie Johnson, principal. Having turned-around two Clayton County schools, Johnson was brought in last year to shake things up at Jackson High School and transform its culture and academic standing. So far, parents like what they've seen.
- LAKEWOOD: Dobbs Elementary School — Students will be greeted this week at Dobbs Elementary School by a new school leader. APS welcomes Dr. Charnita West, the school’s new principal, to her new leadership role. Principal West has been a kindergarten, 4th grade, 6th grade, EIP and Title I teacher and has served as an assistant principal. Dr. West is also an adjunct professor at Georgia State University and Georgia Regents University.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something