Here are some events in and around East Atlanta Patch communities and elsewhere in metro Atlanta that are marking the occasion:
- Choose Nonviolence: Nonviolence of Nonexistence Discussion: 6th – 12th grade students at Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy Gymnasium, 1190 Northwest Drive, Atlanta, will participate in a discussion on various types of violence and action steps they can take to Choose Nonviolence in their lives daily. Panelists will include veterans and young leaders making strides in communities around the country. Start: 11:30 a.m.
- Atlanta NAACP Chapter Sponsoring Gun Buyback at Turner Field: The NAACP Atlanta chapter plans a gun buyback initiative at Turner Field at 9 a.m. The initiative will be held on the Grey Lot at the corner of Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard and Central Avenue.
- Celebrate the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday with Our Lady of Lourdes' Music Ministry and the Jewish community of Congregation Or Hadash, 7460 Trowbridge Rd NE, Sandy Springs, GA 30328. The service begins at 6:30 p.m. and the choir will minister near the end of the service around 7:20 p.m. Afterwards, refreshments will be served at a reception. For more information, feel free to contact Rabbi Ellen Nemhauser, 404-250-3338.
- Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta Eucharistic King Celebration, Saturday, January 18 at 1pm at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, 48 Martin Luther King Jr Dr. SW, Atlanta, GA 30303. Archbishop Wilton Gregory will be the Presider and Homilist! Visit thekingcenter.org for details about additional celebrations and events.
- “Let Freedom Ring! Choose Nonviolence!” Organizations and individuals from throughout the world are being encouraged to incorporate the ringing of a bell or bells as part of their King Holiday Observance and as a means of showing their commitment to choosing nonviolence and peace in 2014.
- The Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service Project: The MLK, Jr. Day of Service, sponsored by Hands On Atlanta, is an opportunity for ordinary citizens can make a difference in the world. It is scheduled to take place on throughout the day Monday, January 20th with diverse community service projects throughout Atlanta in honor of Dr. King. For more information contact: Hands On Atlanta at (404) 979- 2800 or www.handsonatlanta.org.