A portion of Ponce de Leon Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic this weekend and next weekend for the Atlanta BeltLine's ongoing construction of the Eastside Trail project.
Closures are scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. Friday and end at 5 a.m. Monday of the affected weekends.
Currently under construction, the Eastside Trail spans more than two miles from the southeast tip of Piedmont Park to Inman Park and the Old Fourth Ward neighborhoods.
The project, which includes a 14-foot-wide, multi-use concrete trail that is to be used for walking, biking, running and skating, is the next major component of the Atlanta BeltLine slated to open to the public.
The section of road between Ponce de Leon Place and the Midtown Place Shopping Center (across from Ponce City Market) will be closed from June 8 through 11 and again from June 15 through June 18. In case of bad weather, the weekend of June 22 through the 25th will serve as the back-up period for work crews.
- During the first weekend (June 8 – 10): Crews will disassemble the scaffolding that has allowed workers to safely remove lead-based paint and make structural repairs to the bridge over the past two months.
- During the second weekend (June 11-15): The bridge will be lowered to its final elevation during the week of June 11-15. During the second week, the contractor will pour the concrete trail and complete touch-up repairs.
- Road signs will be in place for the two weeks leading up to the closures to alert drivers on Ponce de Leon Avenue.
- Sidewalks will periodically be closed to pedestrian traffic, as work requires underneath the bridge.
- All vehicular access points to the shops at Midtown Place, the Kroger shopping center, Ponce Place and Ford Factory Lofts will be open and accessible during this road closure.
- Detour signs and off duty-police officers will be provided to direct motorists.
The Eastside Trail is the first part of the trail system to be built within the old rail corridor, which will eventually connect 45 neighborhoods.