Five Things You Need to Know
Here's a breakdown of what's going on in the neighborhood over the weekend.
Looking for something to do this weekend? Here are five things around East Atlanta Patch to consider:
• The Grant Park Conservancy will participate in the "Bring One for the Chipper" tree recycling program. Bring your Christmas tree to 625 Park Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30312 between 9 a.m to 4 p.m. The trees will be recycled and used in Grant Park for erosion control and other plant and animal conservation efforts in the historic park.
• The Martin Luther King Jr. Center at 449 Auburn Ave. NE in Atlanta's Sweet Auburn neighborhood, is hosting the Kingian Nonviolence in Action Youth Expo and Health Fest from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The fair, sponsored by a division of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion will highlight high school students utilizing King's philosophy of nonviolence to prevent violence in their schools and neighborhoods. There also will be a health fair, food and music.
• McNair High School, 1804 Bouldercrest Road SE, Atlanta, hosts the Decatur Mustangs girls' varsity basketball team at 5:30 p.m. followed by the boys' varsity team at 7 p.m.
• East Atlanta's Bound to Be Read Books, 481 Flat Shoals Ave SE, Atlanta, is hosting its Scandalous Book Club at 3 p.m. This month's selection is "Tipping the Velvet" by Sarah Waters. The novel set, in the Victorian England, centers around Nan King, who hails from the English seaside town of Whistable and later falls in love with a cross-dressing singer named Miss Kitty Butler.
• Georgia State University's women's basketball team hosts Hofstra University at 2 p.m. The game will be played at 125 Decatur St. SE at the Georgia State Sports Arena. GSU students are admitted free to all regular season home games and must have a valid Panthercard to gain admission to the Sports Arena. Companion tickets may be purchased for $5 at the GSU Box Office M-F 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and up to halftime on the day of the game.