by Elizabeth McKinstry
EAST ATLANTA — What is a Cash Mob? It’s when a group of folks get together, pick a small locally-owned, independently-operated business, meet there at a certain day and time, and spend a suggested amount of $15.
Studies have shown that significantly more money spent at a locally-owned business remains in the local economy, and it’s a great way to meet others who have similar interests.
The first Atlanta Cash Mob of this year will be held on Saturday, Jan. 19 at 11 a.m. at the Hodgepodge Coffeehouse and Gallery at 720 Moreland Ave. SE. There are so many worthy small businesses here in Atlanta, but Hodgepodge was burglarized in early December, and gathering here to help them make up their losses is a fitting way to start the new year.
Hodgepodge offers coffee and tea drinks, baked goods, a full brunch, and gifts and art by local artists.
So, call your friends. Gather your family. And plan to meet at Hodgepodge for a Saturday of doing good while you’re having fun! You can get more information and make suggestions for future cash mob locations at our Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/AtlantaCashMob.
If you go:
- WHAT: First Cash Mob of the year for Atlanta folks interested in supporting local businesses.
- WHEN: Saturday, January 19th at 11 a.m.
- WHERE: Hodgepodge Coffeehouse and Gallery, 720 Moreland Avenue SE, Atlanta, 30316
- COST: Suggested spending amount is $15 (or more, if you like!)
- INFO: Visit the Atlanta Cash Mob Facebook Page at facebook.com/AtlantaCashMob or Twitter feed at twitter.com/AtlantaCashMob, or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678.805.7109.
Ms. McKinstry, a frequent visitor to the East Atlanta Village, is a resident of Clayton County.