APD Zone 3 Issues Stolen Autos Warning
Overall crime fell in 2012, but there was an uptick in stolen cars.
The Atlanta Police Department's Zone 3, which includes Summerhill, Historic South Atlanta, Peoplestown and Chosewood Park issued this crime update and alert with respect to the 2012 year:
Overall, crime in Zone 3 was down 15 percent in 2012. Overall crime on beats 301 (Capitol View) and 306 (Sylvan Hills) was also down.
However, we have had a spike in auto thefts. We saw repeat thefts of: Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Stratus, Dodge R1500, Ford Ranger, and Jeep Cherokees.
To deter auto thefts, we recommend:
- Never leaving the vehicle keys in the car while the car is unattended.
- If your vehicle becomes disabled, do not leave it on the side of the road. Tow as soon as possible.
- Parking vehicle close to your door so you can keep an eye on it.
- Installing alarms (flashing LED lights inside may help), tracking devices, ignition kill switches, fuel pump kill switches, steering wheel locks or locking bars.
- Be alert for wreckers which could be illegally taking vehicles in order to recycle (call 911).
- Not leaving valuables in your vehicle which draw perpetrators to your vehicle.
- Report truants and curfew violators.
Here are the full-year crime stats in Zone 3:
|Crime|| 2012 Crime and % Up/Down || 2011 || 2010
|Aggravated Assault||620||Down 8.01%||676||647|
|Auto Theft||1,166|| Up 5.52%
|Non-Residential Burglary||156||Down 31.58%||228||232|
|Residential Burglary||1,274||Down 22.65%||1,653||1,613|
|Vehicle Larceny||762||Down 17.26%||927||852|